Thursday, November 10, 2011

Boxed corners

I was playing around the other day with a new-to-me way of doing boxed corners. Want to see?

I made this little fabric basket inspired by Ayumi's wonderful tutorial over at Pink Penguin.


Usually, boxed corners are made by pinching the sides and bottom together to form a corner and then stitching and trimming the resulting triangle so that the box or bag has a flat bottom and can stand on it's own.

Instead of using that method, which is worked from the wrong side of the box or bag, I boxed the corners on the outside.


Folding the corners up in this way makes for an interesting detail on the outside of the basket. I stitched the corners to the sides and then hid the stitches under a small button.

So, if you're looking for a new or different way to finish the bottoms of your fabric boxes or bags, give this method a try!

6 comments:

  1. I like this, it looks really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's very cute! i love the idea of using buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I really like this idea. I'm making some right now, and may try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great and clever idea, I absolutely love it and will definitely do this when I make bags. You don't want to know what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gostava que fosse escrito em Português,para perceber melhor.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering any questions. Thanks so much for stopping by and spending some time here!